POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : CSG Challenge : Re: CSG Challenge Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:14:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG Challenge
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 25 Jul 2013 21:30:05
Message: <web.51f1d0413a6d0c04ae2c701b0@news.povray.org>
James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> LOL ... my money was on you ;-) Nice job!

It took me too long to figure out what was needed to produce the basic shape: 1)
a latitudinal torus macro (was easy to make); 2) a proper method for smoothly
joining torii together on a sphere (VAngle() was used for measuring distances
spherically between torus centers).

"Shay" <non### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> Clipka posted the CSG first. You posted the math first.

Who, me?

> Can we call it a tie?

If I were to claim a(ny) prize, I'd have sky_sphere-based textured fog make its
debut in the next version of POV-Ray :D (although I do realize it's not that
sort of wishlist :P)

> That train was impressive. Used prisms*, so, imo, a whole other animal.

Well if I remember correctly his train also used torii, cylinders and spheres to
smoothly join various types of surfaces with one another, and the kind of
thinking required to do that would go a long way toward meeting your challenge
advantageously ;)

> A CSG (primitive primitives) sub-round of the tcrtc might draw some
> interesting entries.

I vote for a CSG sub-round!

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'shaycsgchallengec.jpg' (351 KB)

Preview of image 'shaycsgchallengec.jpg'
shaycsgchallengec.jpg